Monday, July 21, 2008

iPhone and Pollution

The last week I traveled to Belfast and London. A coupe of things struck my eye:

- There was a huge queue on Oxford Street in London for the new iPhone. Made me wonder - India and China are the places having the largest number of mobile phone users, but an innovation like an iPhone came out of the US. We always have people talking about being close to the markets and doing the design but here is a product developed completely outside the major markets and still has a lot of people interested in it from India from a features perspective. Innovation always scores... as Henry Ford said, "If I had asked the customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse!"

- Being on the busy streets and in bumper to bumper traffic made me realize the amount of air pollution we have in India. Even in crowded bumper to bumper lanes in the UK, you hardly feel any diesel or petrol fumes. Contrast this with the levels of pollution we have in India with nearly the same emission norms. I think fuel adultration is to blame for all this.

No comments: