Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The success of Rang De Basanti and Lage Raho Munna Bhai

I am not much into watching Hindi films lately - work and family seem to have squeezed out the time for them. However I was noting a trend - the success of Rang De Basanti and Lage Raho Munnabhai makes me notice a common, underlying trend in these films. Most filmmakers consider Gandhism and Nationalist sentiment as "passe" among today's youth. The success of these films underscores the point that Indian youth still appreciates well presented nationalist and Gandhian themes. Its just that our filmmakers were not able to present them in a manner that was palatable to the masses, unless these films came along.

Makes me wonder - are Don and Sholay remakes the correct way forward? When the audience is inclined to watch films with old, traditional values, why bombard them with remakes of classics? Both these remakes are targeted to the youth, the under 25 generation. It will be interesting to see how they fare, though if you ask me, I would not be betting on them.

2 comments:

kamla said...

I suspect that Rang De and Munnabhai appealed to the audience because there was a strong Indian identity and stamp to the story...

Don and Sholay belong to a western classic genre...with a strong dose from Sergio Leone's movie, among other filmmakers..You never know it might just do the trick and appeal to the audience. Don does look slick...not sure if I will like it. Then again as someone commented on my blog I don't belong to the under 25 category and I am not the audience for the movie :-)

Kamla

Rishabh Narang said...

the point here is actually the advertising part associated with it. during lage raho munna bhai season the actor mr. sanjay dutt seemed to be moving ahead with controversies and same during time of rang de basanti. so i personally feel that the advertising which determines teh success of any film. touching up on issues like sovereignty or love for country will not going to make much impact .. it has been a trend for the youth to always rush for something new. at times of movies like don and sholay that was a complete new trend that moved the audiences...
rishabh